Monday 12 October 2020

Whatever happened to Benny Lewis? A personal update


You may have seen Benny Lewis active online years ago, but not so much recently. Why is that? In today's very personal update, I explain why I haven't been uploading much in recent years. I decided to be vulnerable and share some major life struggles that I've been going through. The timestamps in the video are: 00:00 Intro 01:21 Burnout 02:42 Debt 04:50 Divorce 06:57 Depression 09:15 Conclusion Follow my other social media for more frequent updates: https://ift.tt/2Fsrb5u https://twitter.com/irishpolyglot https://ift.tt/2SLhQIL My absolute lowest point was in 2018. Fortunately, I've been able to turn things around and am feeling better and on the road to recovery from all the separate issues I've had, with varying degrees of progress on each. I wanted to give some context around my struggles before I share ways that I've dealt with these issues to help me get to a better place. I know this isn't the content I typically used to upload, but I imagine a lot of you are struggling in your own unique ways in 2020, so maybe my upcoming "actionable" videos on this theme can help. I also am very much aware that other people have had their own difficult struggles, so I'm not trying to use this video to say I'm worse off than others, since I am aware I am lucky in some other ways. This is just my story that I wanted to share, to help reduce stigma against being open about mental health issues and difficult times. These rough years also sapped energy from my language learning projects and they were mostly on hold for several years, but I've finally started re-activating them this year thanks to the progress I've made. So, all of this does ultimately tie back into having that mental energy to learn languages, that you may have originally followed me for. Hopefully, this series helps some other people struggling. Thanks for watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment